This weekend marks the beginning of 2011 interleague play, or when the American and National Leagues face off in entertaining series that feature teams unfamiliar with one another. And even though the tradition has only been around since 1997, it still feels like a necessary part of every regular season.
As always, there are some entertaining match-ups to be had. Two of the most storied teams in all of sports meet in Boston, when the Cubs travel to Fenway to take on the Red Sox. Two powerhouse teams in the Philadelphia Phillies and Texas Rangers also meet in what some may call a preview of the 2011 World Series.
Which match-up is generating the most overall demand? We ranked each match-up according to the average ticket price of the series opener: check below for the Interleague Play FanDemand Rankings.
Interleague Play FanDemand: Series Openers, Friday May 20
- Cubs @ Boston Red Sox tickets: avg. $96
- Astros @ Toronto Blue Jays tickets: avg. $94
- A’s @ San Francisco Giants tickets: avg. $91
- Mets @ New York Yankees tickets: avg. $68
- Rangers @ Philadelphia Phillies tickets: avg. $64
- Nats @ Baltimore Orioles tickets: avg. $53
- Dodgers @ Chicago White Sox tickets: avg. $53
- Cards @ Kansas City Royals tickets: avg. $51
- M’s @ San Diego Padres tickets: avg. $50
- Reds @ Cleveland Indians tickets: avg. $36
- Rockies @ Milwaukee Brewers tickets: avg. $36
- Tigers @ Pittsburgh Pirates tickets: avg. $33
- Twins @ Arizona Diamondbacks tickets: avg. $32
- Rays @ Florida Marlins: avg. $28
- Braves @ Los Angeles Angels tickets: avg. $25
Probably the most anticipated series of the weekend is also #1 in FanDemand: Boston Red Sox tickets are the hottest in the league this weekend when the host the Chicago Cubs.
Defending World Series champs, the San Francisco Giants, host their cross town rivals, the Oakland A’s, in a match-up that takes #3 in our FanDemand rankings.